Monday, March 26, 2012

Ruffled-up duvet

This was one project that I never really thought I would finish.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought the fabric and started this project almost two years ago.  Yikes!  Time flies when you're...procrastinating?  While keeping up with my spring cleaning initiative, this was the mother of all spring cleaning projects.  It's been eating up space in my sewing room, and it's been on my to-do list for an eternity.  If you don't believe me, take a peek at this post, in which I posted a teaser photo of my beloved yellow ruffles and implied that I would finish it soon.  (Maybe I wasn't right about the "soon" part, but better late than never!)  So without further ado, I present my labor of love: the ruffled-up duvet cover.


I was inspired by this duvet cover from Urban Outfitters and in a moment of ambitious insanity, I decided to copy it.  I hit up a major bedding sale, where I purchased a bunch of sets of sheets for around $20.   What a steal!  And two years later, I finally have my duvet, and I'm thrilled and relieved!  I'm also thrilled that I'm now (more or less) caught up on my started-and-then-abandoned projects.  So now it's time to start something new and exciting!  And in case you didn't notice from the first photo, this duvet cover is puggle-approved.


Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, and I hope to be back with more soon!  Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. I recently decided to do the same thing with a rug, using heavy upholstery fabrics that I was given.I'm going to use drop cloth as the base, but how did you get to sew that much fabric through your sewing machine? I'm imagining in bulking up not fitting on the right of the needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was fortunate enough that the sheets I used were some kind of poly-blend that doesn't get too bunchy. While I did have some issues with catching multiple layers of fabric (and having to rip that ruffle out and re-attach it) for the most part, I was able to scrunch the excess down so that it fit through the machine. I also attached the ruffles from right to left, so that the bunches and bunches of ruffles were not to the right of the needle. Good luck with your project, I'd love to see it when it's finished!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this post! I used it as inspiration for my own ruffled duvet cover. Since I also have a puggle, I thought it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, thanks for sharing, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! I hope yours took a little less time than mine did... and thanks for sharing the puggle love. Puggles really make the best buddies.

      Delete
  3. This is SOOO pretty! Good for you for finishing it!!!! :-)
    X,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete