Thursday, March 1, 2012

Old brown shoe

I spent today at home, practicing and taking a bit of a mental health day.  It was another dreary day here in Pennsylvania (complete with a variety of wintry mixtures falling outside) which was the perfect excuse to stay in all day.  It gave me a chance to do a good-old-fashioned Mod Podge project this afternoon, and to work on a pair of my favorite old brown shoes.  My project was inspired by this post, which I loved (and tucked away in the back of my mind) the instant I saw it a few weeks ago.  These were my shoes this morning:

   
They weren't terribly expensive, but they've quickly become one of my favorite pairs.  For some reason (even after they'd started to look a little more crummy than cute) I just can't stop wearing them.  You can imagine my devastation when a snowstorm in Cleveland almost destroyed them a few weeks back (salt works wonders on fake brown leather...and not in a good way!)  So I tried to give them a little more life, and here they are now:




You may recognize the fabric from this project...I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of that yardage!  I didn't do a perfect job of cutting the fabric away from the shoes, but it's certainly an improvement anyway (and no one will see them that close up, right?) I just glued the fabric on to the sections I wanted to cover, sealed it with Mod Podge, and swapped the laces for some brown ribbon.  I can't wait to wear them out on the town tomorrow!  (And by "out on the town" I, of course, mean "rehearsal.")  Happy Leap Day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment