Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blue butterfly bedtime bliss

Hello, friends!  I'm popping in today to share a couple of projects I made last week for my sister's birthday.  My mom and I found this gorgeous silky (it's technically a polyester blend, but it's pretty luxurious to the touch!) fabric, printed with butterfly wings in beautiful blues and greens and I knew it was perfect for my sister.  I just love this fabric!  So I decided to make some sort of bedtime set, and here is what I came up with:




I knew I wanted to make some sort of a robe and a pair of sleep shorts.  I searched high and low for a pajama set pattern that included both of these items, and I just couldn't find any that I liked (and the pattern sets are around $15...that's pretty pricy!)  So in my desperation, I took a peek into the cheap pattern drawer at Wal-Mart and found two separate patterns (this one and this one) for around $1 a piece!  Neither was really intended for pajamas, but they both worked perfectly for my purposes!

The shorts have an elastic waistband and pockets (which I considered leaving off, but just couldn't because I am borderline obsessed with pockets.)  They also have buttoned-up cuffs at the bottom, although the buttons are sewn on and can't be adjusted.  I tried to choose flat buttons so that they would be comfortable for sleeping, and I ended up these shiny blue buttons...they were just the ticket! (see close-up above)

The robe took a little more time, because there was a pretty sizable amount of sewing that had to be done by hand.  But overall, it was still simple enough that I got it done in two half-days of work.  I struggled a little with the facing around the collar (why are those always to difficult to put together?!) but I'd happily do this project again!

I just love how they turned out!  Both projects were pretty quick to put together, and the fabric was perfect.  My sister has always loved butterflies, so when I found this print, I knew I had to get it...what a great find!  There's really nothing better than finding a fabric that's just perfect for a project!  As far as I can tell, my sister loves her presents and I'm thrilled!

I hope you all had (and are still having) wonderful weekends as well!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment