Friday, July 26, 2013

Mountainous Adventures


Hiccups really are the worst.  I'm trying to remember if I've done something karmically tragic that would have incensed the powers at be and afflicted me with the worst case of hiccups known to man, but I'm just not sure.  I suppose it's possible that it was that post-dessert chocolate bar that I ate.  But how could something so delicious cause something so terrible?  I may be being a little melodramatic.  

On a lighter note, I just returned from a magical trip to Banff, Alberta, Canada, where I participated in a music festival for most of July.  The trip itself was less than magical (twenty-four hour travel days plus a cello and waaaaaay too many clothes jammed into waaaaaaay too many suitcases makes for a rough day of travel.)  While everybody thinks they are being just so clever when they think to ask you and your cello "do you have a body in there?" or to exclaim "that's as big as you are!" or to knowingly inform their child "that is a guitar, sweetie." or to just shout the word "cello!" at you each time you pass by, it's really just part of the charm of traveling with a  large instrument.  Who doesn't like to have a little extra attention thrown their way when they're making their way from gate to gate in a busy airport?  Speaking of extra attention, my cello got lots of it on our travel days, including being strapped down like a wild beast in this contraption, which took the ENTIRE CREW OF THE PLANE (including two pilots, three flight attendants, and two men of the ground crew) to strap onto the seat.


Air Canada does it right.
It was just like being in first class, except that we were in row thirty-four, and I couldn't see the window or straighten my legs because my cello was in the way.  I mean, twelve of one and a dozen of the other, if you ask me.  Anyway, it was all worth it for the trip, which was incredible.  Can you think of a more beautiful place to spend a few weeks?  Not to mention the amazing people I met, worked with, played with, and got to know over the course of my program.  I'm one lucky girl.

Beautiful sunlight on the way up to the top of Tunnel Mountain

Myself (left) and friend, Rachel, on top of Tunnel Mountain (photo credit to the sweetest German traveler, who we met up at the top)

Lake Louise

A small lake on the hike up to Lake Agnes

Lake Agnes

The view from the main dining room.  Can you think of a better way to enjoy your morning coffee?

But now, it's back to the grind in Pennsylvania, which means spending a few wonderfully relaxing weeks of swimming, playing with dogs, cooking, practicing, and sewing, before I return to school in a few weeks.  It's a lot to ask, but somebody's got to do it.  

I've got quite a few projects on my plate for the coming weekend, including adventures in dip-dyeing, and lots and lots of little bags and pouches.  Can't wait to share them with you all tomorrow!

And just like that, folks, my hiccups are gone.  Like magic.  Thanks a bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment