In order to hide the cording on the back of the pom-poms, I pieced the bag together in strips (sandwiching the trim between them) rather than sewing the trim to the front of one big piece. I was worried about having the trim poke out unevenly, but the cording was wide enough that this step was a piece of cake! And now the cording is neatly tucked on the inside, and all you can see are those cute little pom-poms.
For the inside lining and pockets, I used some pink and yellow cotton pieces that I had in my fabric pile. Pink and yellow look so warm and cheery together, don't you think?
I added a magnetic snap at the top, which I camouflaged with two covered buttons, matching the pink lining. For the strap, I cut one long strip, double-folded the ends towards the center, and reinforced it with a strip of floral ribbon. It's sturdy, thick enough not to wrinkle up when I'm wearing it (or dig into my shoulder) and cute to boot! (I just knew I'd find a purpose for that floral ribbon when I bought it back in January...)
Since I skipped any complicated closures and just sewed the strap right into the top of the bag, this was a pretty no-fuss project. And by using (almost entirely) leftover supplies, it was an (almost) free new summery bag! It's lightweight, a practical size, and just festive enough for a Florida summer. I can't wait to take it out...this bag is ready for some fun!